Patrons are required to have a library card in order to check out at the Germantown Community Library. A patron may only have one Monarch Library System card.
It is free to initially get your library card. The cost to replace a lost card is $3.00.
As a card holder you are responsible for all items checked out on your card.
Full Circulation Policy, including library cards and borrowing privileges.
Eligibility for a GCL card:
- Residents of the following library systems: Monarch, Bridges, South Central, Winnefox, Manitowoc-Calumet, Outagamie-Waupaca, and Nicolet.
- Students who live in Milwaukee County and are enrolled in the Germantown School District.
- Residents of Menomonee Falls and Brookfield are eligible, but may only check out two (2) items at once.
How to apply:
- Come into the library to fill out an application.
- Show a valid Wisconsin ID or driver’s license with your current address. Or a valid ID and a utility bill or checkbook with your current address.
- Children applying for a card must be 5 years-old and accompanied by a custodial parent or guardian.
With a valid card you can checkout items from:
- The Washington County libraries at Germantown, Hartford, Kewaskum, Slinger and West Bend.
- The Monarch Library System group of libraries that includes Dodge, Ozaukee, Sheboygan and Washington counties.
- WISCAT (Wisconsin Resource Sharing Catalog) interlibrary loan.
- Digital materials through the Wisconsin Digital Library and Zinio magazines.
Loan Periods and Limits:
Loan periods are based on the type of item.
- 4 Weeks Adult and Children’s general fiction and non-fiction; audiobooks;
new Adult non-fiction
- 2 Weeks New Adult fiction; non-feature film DVDs; book/CD kits; CDs; magazines;
holiday books; pamplets
- 1 Week Feature film DVDs
The quantity of items that can be checked out per card is also based on the type of item.
- 50 Adult and Children’s books combined
- 20 CDs
- 20 Magazines
- 15 Adult and Children’s audiobooks combined
- 15 Book/CD kits
- 10 DVDs (total)
- 4 DVDs (new — these are included in the 10 DVDs total.)
- 3 Children’s holiday books (in season)